In WordPress, to copy a page you can use the “Duplicate Page” plugin. This plugin allows you to clone a page and create a new draft page with all the same content. Once the plugin is installed and activated, you will see a “Duplicate This” link in the page list view. Clicking this link will create a new draft page with the same content as the original page. You can then edit and publish the new page as needed.
Learn how to easily duplicate a page in WordPress with our step-by-step guide. Discover different methods including copy & paste, XML export, and plugin options. Master WordPress today and make your website management a breeze.
How to duplicate a page in WordPress
There are lots of different ways to duplicate a page in WordPress. You could download a plugin, use the XML importer or do it the old-fashioned way and copy/paste to a new page. Each method has pros and cons, so it’s worth weighing up which is right for you. Read on to find out more about how to duplaicate WordPress pages.
Copy & Paste
You can copy and paste the content from your WordPress Admin like so:
- Log in to your WordPress Admin and navigate to the page you wish to duplicate.
- Click on the “Edit” button to open the page in the editor.
- Select all the content on the page by either clicking on the “Select All” button or pressing “CTRL + A” on your keyboard.
- Copy the selected content by clicking on the “Copy” button or pressing “CTRL + C” on your keyboard.
- Click on the “Pages” button in the left sidebar of the WordPress Admin.
- Click on the “Add New” button to create a new page.
- In the editor, give the new page a title and then paste the copied content by clicking on the “Paste” button or pressing “CTRL + V” on your keyboard.
- Click on the “Publish” button to save the new page.
Note: This method will copy the content but not the page template, custom fields, and other settings, images or other media files you have in the page.
Duplicate using XML Import/Export
You can use WordPress to export the page in XML format and then bring it back in as a new page, too. Here is how to do that:
- Log in to your WordPress admin and navigate to the page you wish to duplicate.
- Go to Tools > Export, select “Pages” and then select the page you want to export.
- Click on the “Download Export File” button to download an XML file of the page to your computer.
- Go to Tools > Import, and select “WordPress” from the list of available options.
- Click on the “Install Now” button and then click on the “Activate Plugin & Run Importer” link, if you haven’t used this method before.
- Click on the “Choose File” button and select the XML file you downloaded in step 3.
- Click on the “Upload file and import” button to upload the file.
- On the next screen, assign the author of the new page, and make sure the checkbox next to “Download and import file attachments” is checked if you have images or other media files on your original page.
- Click on the “Submit” button to complete the import process.
Note: This method will copy the content, images, custom fields, and other settings of the page but not the page template.
If neither of those methods sounds great for you, then you could try one of the free plugins in the WordPress plugins repository. Please see below:
Use a plugin to duplicate WordPress page
If you don’t want to copy and paste your content, utilise one of the many excellent free plugins that reside in the WordPress Repository. Here are a few examples of those for you:
- Use the “Post Duplicator” plugin, which allows you to duplicate pages and posts with a single click.
- Use the “Page Builder Sandwich” plugin to create a copy of a page and its layout.
- Use the “Duplicate Page and Post” plugin, which allows you to clone pages and posts and choose whether to copy the featured image and custom fields.
- Use the “Duplicate Post” plugin, which allows you to clone pages and posts with a single click and also add a link to the page list view.
- Use the “Clone Posts and Pages” plugin, which allows you to clone pages and posts and also set the status of the new page.
- Use the “Duplicate Page and Custom Post Type” plugin, which allows you to clone pages, custom post types, and also retain the custom fields.
- Use the “Advanced Custom Fields” plugin, which allows you to create custom fields for pages, and then duplicate the pages with the custom fields using the plugin’s built-in feature.
Thanks for reading. In conclusion, there are several ways to duplicate a page in WordPress, including the copy and paste method, the XML export method, and the use of various plugins. Each way has its advantages and limitations, and the choice of method will depend on the specific requirements of your website.
If you have any further questions regarding WordPress, join our newsletter for regular updates about WordPress. Also, be sure to view our WordPress Answers topic for lots of helpful tips and follow us on social media for more tips and tutorials.