Online competitions, also known as sweepstakes or giveaways, have become popular, providing fun and easy ways to win prizes like cash, gift cards, and merchandise. With the rise of social media, the number of opportunities to win has increased dramatically. But did you know you can also make money from these competitions? While the odds of winning may be low, people have found success.
In this article, we’ll explore tips and tricks to increase your chances of winning and turn your hobby of entering online competitions into a source of income.
Types of Online Competitions
Skill-based competitions judge participants’ talents or skills in areas such as writing, graphic design, coding, etc. They’re typically judged by experts and the winner is chosen based on the quality of their submission. Examples include writing contests, design contests, and coding challenges.
Some well-known skill-based competition websites include:
- 99designs (graphic design)
- Topcoder (coding and data science)
- Script Pipeline (screenwriting)
- The A’ Design Award & Competition (product and industrial design)
- The James Dyson Award (engineering and design)
Luck-based competitions include raffles, sweepstakes, and giveaways. These require little skill, with winners chosen randomly to promote a company’s products or services.
Hybrid competitions are a mix of skill and luck, where participants may need to showcase their talents, answer trivia, solve puzzles or complete a scavenger hunt. These competitions are popular among companies to engage with their audience and promote their products or services.
Finding Online Competitions
Finding online competitions can be a bit of a challenge, as they are not always easy to find. However, there are a few ways to locate them. One way is to search for them on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Many companies and organizations use these platforms to promote their competition.
Another way is to look on popular and reputable UK-based websites such as The Prize Finder, Loquax, Competitions Time, and Money Saving Expert. These websites specialize in listing current competitions and giveaways.
Subscribing to newsletters from companies and organizations you are interested in can also be a good way to stay informed about upcoming competitions.
How to search for and find online competitions
- Use a search engine and specific keywords (e.g. “online competitions UK”)
- Use Google Dorks to find online competitions ending soon
- On Facebook, hashtags such as #competition, #giveaway, #win, #contest and #prize could be useful.
- On Instagram, hashtags such as #giveaway, #contest, #competition, #sweepstakes, #win and #prize could be useful.
- On Twitter, hashtags such as #competition, #giveaway, #contest, #win, #sweepstakes and #prize could be useful.
- Related keywords such as “online competition” or “win money online” may also yield results.
- Join online communities or forums dedicated to competitions and giveaways (e.g. UK Competitions on Facebook)
Tips for identifying legitimate competitions
- Check the company or organiser’s website and make sure it’s a legitimate business
- Be wary of competitions that require you to provide personal information or make a purchase to enter
- Look out for red flags like promises of unrealistic prizes or requests for payment to enter the competition.
Maximizing Your Chances of Winning
Entering as many competitions as possible (within reason)
Entering a large number of competitions can be overwhelming, so it’s important to find a balance between the number of competitions you enter and the time and energy you can realistically devote to each one.
Focus on high-quality competitions that align with your interests and skills rather than spreading yourself thin with low-quality ones. Keep track of deadlines to ensure you don’t miss out on potential wins.
Keep track of the deadlines for each competition you enter to ensure that you’re not missing out on any potential wins.
Tailoring your entries to the specific competition’s theme or requirements
Tailoring your entries to the specific competition’s theme or requirements is an important strategy for increasing your chances of winning. This means paying attention to the details of each competition and making sure that your entry aligns with the competition’s goals and criteria.
For example, if the competition is looking for a specific type of design, make sure that your entry fits that description. If the competition requires a certain number of words, make sure that your entry meets that requirement.
By tailoring your entries to the specific competition’s theme or requirements, you are showing the judges that you have taken the time to understand their needs and are making a genuine effort to win. This can help set your entry apart from the competition and increase your chances of winning. It can also help you to filter out the competitions that you are not likely to win and focus on the ones that you have a better chance of winning.
Being persistent and consistent in your efforts
Being persistent and consistent in your efforts means that you should not give up easily. Even if you lose several competitions in a row, it doesn’t mean that you should stop entering. Keep entering different competitions, and don’t be discouraged by a few setbacks.
Also, make sure to set a consistent schedule for entering competitions. For example, if you find a few competitions that you’re interested in, make sure to enter them regularly, whether it’s once a week or once a month. This way, you’ll increase your chances of winning, and it will also make it easier for you to keep track of your progress and the competitions you’ve entered.
How to avoid common mistakes and pitfalls
When entering online competitions, it’s important to avoid common mistakes that can decrease your chances of winning. One mistake to avoid is not reading the terms and conditions of the competition thoroughly. This can lead to disqualification if you don’t meet the requirements or if you unknowingly break a rule.
- Read the terms and conditions carefully before entering a competition
- Avoid providing too much personal information
- Set aside dedicated time each day or week to enter competitions
- Use a spreadsheet or calendar to keep track of deadlines and entries
- Take breaks and avoid burnout by not entering too many competitions at once
- Tailor your entries to the specific competition’s theme or requirements
- Be mindful of scams and only enter competitions from reputable sources
- Keep track of your wins and losses to help identify patterns and improve your chances of winning in the future
- Seek advice and guidance from experienced competition entrants or online resources to help improve your chances of winning.
It’s also important to be realistic about your chances of winning and not to get discouraged if you don’t win right away. Remember, entering online competitions is a numbers game, and the more you enter, the better your chances of winning will be. So it’s essential to keep a positive attitude and keep trying.
Falling for scams or bogus competitions
Avoiding scams and bogus competitions is an important part of entering online competitions. Here are some tips to help you stay safe:
- Be wary of any competition that requires you to pay a fee to enter. Legitimate competitions should never require you to pay a fee to participate.
- Be suspicious of any competition that promises a guaranteed win. There is no such thing as a guaranteed win, and any competition that promises one is likely a scam.
- Be cautious of any competition that asks for personal information such as your Social Security number, credit card information, or bank account details. Legitimate competitions should never require this information.
- Do your research. Before you enter a competition, take some time to research the company or organization running it. Look for reviews or testimonials from previous participants to get a sense of the competition’s legitimacy.
- If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Be sceptical of any competition that promises a large cash prize or a luxury item for very little effort.
- Trust your instincts. If something about a competition seems off, it’s best to stay away.
By following these tips, you can help protect yourself from scams and bogus competitions and increase your chances of winning legitimate prizes.
Not reading the terms and conditions before entering
Not reading the terms and conditions before entering a competition is a common mistake that many people make. By not reading the fine print, you may not realize that you’re unknowingly agreeing to certain conditions or giving away certain rights.
For example, some competitions may require you to pay a fee, give away your personal information, or grant the host company the rights to use your submitted material in any way they see fit. To avoid these pitfalls, it’s important to always read the terms and conditions before entering a competition.
Make sure you understand the rules, requirements, and any potential obligations before you commit to participating.
Providing too much personal information
Providing too much personal information can be a common pitfall in online competitions. Many scammers will ask for personal information such as your social driving license or bank account details in order to steal your identity or money. However, even legitimate competitions may ask for personal information they don’t actually need, so be mindful at all times.
Some examples where too much info could be given
- Giving out personal information such as your full name, address, phone number, or email address when it is not required
- Being too trusting of websites or sponsors that ask for personal information
- Not realizing that some personal information, such as your email address, can be sold to third parties
- Not being aware of the potential risks associated with sharing personal information online
Be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully and only provide the information that is absolutely necessary. It’s also a good idea to be cautious of providing too much information on social media, as this can also be used by scammers.
Tips for managing your time and energy effectively
- Prioritize the competitions that you want to enter the most.
- Set a specific time each day for entering competitions, and stick to it.
- Break up your competition-entering sessions with breaks and other activities to prevent burnout.
- Use a calendar or schedule to keep track of upcoming deadlines and when you have entered into each competition.
- Don’t spread yourself too thin by trying to enter every competition you come across. Instead, focus on a select few that you have the best chance of winning or that align with your interests.
Effective time and energy management are crucial for maximizing your chances of winning online competitions. One strategy is to set aside dedicated time each day or week to search for and enter competitions. It’s also important to prioritize the competitions you enter, focusing on those with the highest potential payout or those that align with your interests and skills.
Setting aside dedicated time each day or week to enter competitions
It’s important to set aside dedicated time each day or week to enter competitions. This will help ensure that you are consistently entering and increasing your chances of winning.
- Creating a schedule or calendar to track upcoming deadlines and entry dates
- Prioritizing the most promising or high-value competitions
- Being mindful of your physical and mental well-being while entering competitions, and taking breaks as needed
- Keeping track of the competitions you have entered, and making note of any follow-up actions required (such as confirming your entry or providing additional information)
It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of finding new competitions to enter, but without a set schedule, it can become overwhelming and lead to burnout. By setting aside a specific time each day or week to enter competitions, you can stay organized and focused on your goals. Additionally, this will help you balance your time spent entering competitions with other responsibilities and activities.
Using a spreadsheet or calendar to keep track of deadlines and entries
Using a spreadsheet or calendar to keep track of deadlines and entries can be extremely helpful in managing your time and energy effectively. This allows you to stay organized and easily see when each competition closes, and which ones you have already entered. It also allows you to quickly and easily check your progress, and adjust your strategy if necessary.
- Using a spreadsheet or calendar to keep track of deadlines and entries can help you stay organized and on top of your competition efforts. This can include things like noting the name of the competition, the deadline, the prize, and any relevant details or links.
- Another tip is to set reminders on your phone or computer to remind you to enter competitions that are coming up.
- Prioritizing which competitions you want to enter based on the prize, your likelihood of winning, and the effort required to enter can also help you maximize your time and energy.
Additionally, having a record of all your entries in one place can also make it easier to track your wins, and can help you avoid duplication of effort. Overall, using a spreadsheet or calendar can help you stay on top of your entries, and maximize your chances of winning.
Taking breaks and avoiding burnout by not entering too many competitions at once
Taking breaks and avoiding burnout are important when it comes to entering online competitions. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of the possibility of winning, but it’s important to remember to pace yourself.
- Setting a limit on the number of competitions you enter each day or week
- Prioritizing the competitions you enter based on the prize and your likelihood of winning
- Making sure to take breaks and not spend all your time and energy on competitions to avoid burnout
- Using a spreadsheet or calendar to keep track of deadlines and entries to avoid missing out on important opportunities.
Entering too many competitions at once can be overwhelming and can lead to burnout. It’s best to spread out your entries and take regular breaks to keep yourself refreshed and motivated. This way, you can enter more competitions in the long run and increase your chances of winning.
Cashing In Your Winnings
How to claim your prize and receive payment
When you win a competition, the process of claiming your prize and receiving payment can vary depending on the competition’s rules and the type of prize. Generally, you will need to provide proof of your win, such as a winning ticket or confirmation email, and complete any necessary paperwork or documentation.
It is important to read the terms and conditions of the competition and follow the instructions provided by the organizer. Some prizes may be paid out in cash, while others may be in the form of a product or gift card. Be sure to confirm with the organizer how and when you will receive your prize.
Taxes and other legal considerations
It is important to be aware that winnings from online competitions may be subject to taxes. You should consult with a tax professional or the tax authorities in your country to understand what taxes if any, apply to your winnings. In the UK, for example, winnings from online competitions are generally considered to be taxable income and must be reported on your tax return.
You should also be aware of any legal restrictions or regulations that apply to online competitions in your country, such as age limits or residency requirements.
Strategies for managing your winnings and reinvesting them
Once you have received your winnings, it is important to have a plan for managing and reinvesting them. One strategy is to save a portion of your winnings and use the rest to pay off debts or make a significant purchase. Another strategy is to reinvest some of your winnings by entering more competitions or investing in a business or other income-generating opportunity.
Whatever strategy you choose, it is important to be intentional and disciplined with your winnings in order to maximize the benefit they can provide.
In summary, online competitions can be a fun and exciting way to potentially make money, but it’s important to understand the different types of competitions available, where to find them, and how to increase your chances of winning. With the right approach and persistence, you can turn your hobby into a profitable venture.
Concluding our guide
Online competitions can be a fun and potentially lucrative way to make money online, but it is important to understand the different types of competitions and how to maximize your chances of winning.
- Legitimate competitions can be found on popular websites and apps, but it is crucial to read the terms and conditions and be aware of common mistakes and scams.
- Managing your time and energy effectively is key to success in online competitions, from setting aside dedicated time each day or week to using a spreadsheet or calendar to keep track of deadlines and entries.
With the right mindset and strategies in place, anyone can start entering and winning online competitions. Don’t be afraid to start small and work your way up, and remember to take breaks and avoid burnout. – Remember that not every competition will result in a win, but with persistence and consistency, the rewards can be well worth the effort.
Online communities such as forums and social media groups, can provide valuable support, advice and motivation for those looking to enter online competitions.
Like that? Try this
Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date with the latest posts from Fresh Kit and enter new competitions from us as they come available. We regularly run comps and giveaways, so you’ll always have something to enter and tell your friends about!